No confectionery can outdo the taste of homemade pastries. And no event is complete without a birthday cake. How to beautifully decorate it at home, knows not every hostess, but to know how to do it, it is not necessary to have the skills of a professional pastry chef.
How to decorate a cake with a mask with your hands at home
Decorate that mastics – it’s almost the same as sitting in a lesson of labor and sculpting various figures of clay. Sweet material for decor is so malleable to use that any hostess will be able to make it an outlandish pattern, bow and any other composition for a festive cake.
There are many recipes for making mastics. It is impossible to tell about each, so we offer to familiarize yourself with the most common and moderately simple.
Recipe No 1: Milk Mask
To prepare it will require:
* Multicolored food colorings.
* Condensed milk – 200 grams and 1 pot.
* Cognac (optional) – 10 ml.
* Milk powder – 160 grams.
* lemon juice – 2 tsp.
powdered sugar – 160 grams.
Average cooking time of milk mask: half an hour.
Calories: 368.56 kcal.
1. Mix powder with dry milk.
2. Gradually pouring condensed milk, knead sweet dough.
3. It should be kneaded until the mastics become homogeneous, elastic and malleable.
4. If during kneading the mastics will stick to the hands, sprinkle with powdered sugar and vice versa, if it crumbles, pour a little lemon juice.
5. Food dyes are necessary to give color. Preliminarily they should be bred in water and carefully added to the dough without ceasing mixing.
Recipe number 2: gelatin mastiff
This recipe is suitable for those who want to create clear figures for the cake.
multicolored food colorings.
gelatin – 10 grams.
lemon juice – 2 tsp.
sugar powder – 600 grams
water – 55 ml.
Preparation time of gelatin mastiff: 40 minutes.
Minutes for 5 or 10 minutes to swell gelatin.
Then send the mass to the water bath to dissolve it. Don’t forget to stir sometimes.
Pour the gelatin into the powdered sugar and start kneading the mastics.
If the sweet material starts to crumble – pour lemon juice.
So, we have learned how to prepare the mastics, now it’s time to learn the basics of design and buy the necessary tools:
1. The patisserie rotating table will make your work much easier during the cake and decoration.
2. Sito – is designed to imitate the hair and fur of animals.
3. Miniature bowls – for water, glue, starch, powdered sugar.
4. Iron – to smooth and strengthen the background layer of the cake.
5. Plastic rolling pins of different sizes – for rolling out small and large parts.
6. Smooth rolling pin of a large size – for rolling out a large layer.
7. Roller (for pizza) – helps to cut smooth and long lines.
8. Garlic press – it is designed to create herbs, animal fur and hair.
9. Tooth-cleaning – for mixing dyes, are involved in the creation of texture and help to fix small details and elements of decor.
10. Wooden sticks for kebabs or cook’s needle – serve as a frame for high figures.
11. Small scissors – to cut out shapes.
12. Thin brush – to work with glue and coloring.
13. A small and very sharp knife – for cutting. The blade must be straight.
14. Food marker – for drawing pupils, contours and drawing.
Having at hand the most necessary, we move to the coating of the cake with a sweet background, that is, a layer of mastics. How to do it right.
Place the confectionery on the table.
Grease the surface of the top cake with cream. This procedure is done before the design, as the products with the mask do not put in the refrigerator.
The finished mask is carefully kneaded to make it smooth and elastic.
Sprinkle the work surface with powdered sugar and begin to roll out the sweet material.
Roll out until the thickness of the layer reaches 4 mm, and the diameter does not exceed the size of the cake.
Throw the mastics over a rolling pin, apply it to the side of the cake, and carefully distribute on the surface, cover the cake.
Pressing the layer to the cake is best with an iron or palms. You can’t touch your fingers – you’ll have traces.
The extra parts of the layer are cut with a roller or a sharp knife.
Put the remnants of the mastics in a bag and refrigerate until the next use.